Mississippi Development Authority accepting applications for site development grants
Jackson, Mississippi – June 24, 2021 – The Mississippi Development Authority is now accepting applications for site development grants, which are awarded to economic development organizations and local governments through the Site Development Grant program.
The program is designed to assist economic development organizations and local governments in developing more available greenfield sites for industrial development on publicly owned industrial property. Two types of property qualify for the grants: Ready Sites and Premier Sites.
Ready Sites require a minimum of 20 highly developable acres, and the site must be work-ready within six months and must be capable of having utilities on site within 12 months. Rail-served sites and sites with an airport or port access are preferred. Ready Sites are eligible to receive up to $50,000 in funding.
Premier Sites require a minimum of 100 acres and must-have attributes that distinguish them from other properties, such as being in high-demand locations, having large-scale, “mega”-development acreage, or having significant utility infrastructure already in place. They must also have a labor force able to attract the intended market. Rail-served sites and sites with an airport or port access are preferred. Premier Sites are eligible to receive up to $250,000 in funding.
Eligible applicants include cities, counties and public or private non-profit economic development entities, such as local authorities, commissions, or other groups created by local and private legislation. Grant recipients must provide at least 50 percent in matching funds.
Grant funds can be used to reimburse the following activities:
- Architectural fees
- Design and engineering fees
- Environmental studies/assessments
- Attorney fees
- Fees for consultants or agents that MDA determines necessary to complete site diligence
- Geotechnical and/or resistivity testing
- Environmental mitigation or purchase of mitigation credits
- Drainage system improvements
- Right of way and easement acquisition
- Utility system expansions and/or distribution
- Transportation infrastructure directly affecting site (roads, bridges or rail)
- Land reclamation
- Industrial park “gateway” signage and/or aesthetic improvements
- On-site demolition (old houses, barns, etc.) subject to cultural review
- Site development improvements as approved by MDA
Grant applications will be accepted through 5 p.m. on July 30. Applications and additional information can be found at https://mississippi.org/site-development-grant/. Completed applications must be mailed to: Mississippi Development Authority, Attn: Sally Williams, Financial Resources Division, 501 N. West St., Jackson, MS 39201. For more information, contact Williams at 601-359-5052 or email@example.com.