Northwest Rankin Middle School Wins 2018 Mississippi Regional Middle School Science Bowl
Jackson, Mississippi — February 21, 2018 — Students from Northwest Rankin Middle School in Flowood won the 2018 Mississippi Regional Science Bowl. The competition took place Saturday, February 3, at the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science in Columbus.
Sponsored by the Mississippi Development Authority’s Energy and Natural Resources Division and the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science, the event hosted 160 students from 17 middle schools around the state. The Science Bowl is a fast-paced verbal forum in which students solve technical problems and answer questions related to all branches of science and math.
“This competition encourages students to learn to become the best they can be in school with an emphasis on STEM curriculum, which prepares students to excel in exciting careers,” said MDA Executive Director Glenn McCullough, Jr. “We are proud of the Northwest Rankin team and congratulate them on this exciting win.”
The Northwest Rankin Middle School team, coached by school instructor Mautoyia Cooper, is made of up students Eric Bedell, Albert Curry, Nicholas Djedjos, Dylan McLeod and Aadav Senthil. The students advance to the National Science Bowl scheduled for April 26-30 in Washington, D.C., where they will compete against other regional middle school winners from around the country.
The full list of teams participating in this year’s Mississippi Regional Middle School Science Bowl include:
- Amory Middle School, Amory
- Center for Alternative Programs, Vicksburg
- Cleveland Central Middle School, Cleveland
- Germantown Middle School, Madison
- Houston Middle School, Houston
- Jackson Preparatory School, Flowood
- Mooreville Middle School, Mooreville
- New Hope Middle School, Columbus
- North Pontotoc Middle School, Ecru
- Northwest Rankin Middle School, Flowood
- Oxford Middle School, Oxford
- Pass Christian Middle School, Pass Christian
- Starkville Academy, Starkville
- Tupelo Middle School, Tupelo
- Union Middle School, Union
- West Lauderdale Middle School, Collinsville
- Woolfolk Middle School, Yazoo City
For more information regarding the Mississippi Regional Middle School Science Bowl, contact event coordinator Lisa Campbell at 601.359.6600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.