MCDP Starts Sept. 10 in Gulfport
Jackson, Miss. (August 28, 2013) – The Mississippi Development Authority will kick off its Model Contractor Development Program workshop series on Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2013 at the Roy Anderson Corp facility, located at 11400 Reichold Road in Gulfport.
The 10 weekly workshops, designed to teach small contractors and businesses practices that will improve their company’s operations and increase their bonding capacity, will be held each Tuesday evening through November 12.
“Our Model Contractor Development Program is an excellent resource offered by MDA to Mississippi contractors looking to grow their businesses and prosper in today’s economy,” said Bob Covington, director of MDA’s Minority and Small Business Development Division. “The sessions will cover topics that will provide useful information to business owners and help position them to better take advantage of available contracting opportunities.”
The MCDP workshop series is free of charge and open to all small contractors and businesses, but participants must enroll or already be enrolled in the Mississippi Contractor Procurement Network system (www.mscpc.com) in order to attend. Additionally, each company’s representative must agree to attend eight of the 10 sessions to successfully complete the course.
The 10-week program schedule follows:
- Tuesday, Sept. 10, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. – Kickoff/Orientation
- Tuesday, Sept. 17, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Resource Partner Introduction
- Tuesday, Sept. 24, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Business Planning and Management for Construction
- Tuesday, Oct. 1, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Construction Accounting and Financial Management
- Tuesday, Oct. 8, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Marketing, Estimating and Bidding
- Tuesday, Oct. 15, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Banking and Financing for Contractors
- Tuesday, Oct. 22, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Bonding and Insurance for New and Emerging Contractors
- Tuesday, Oct. 29, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Project Management and Field Operations
- Tuesday, Nov. 5, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Claims and Dispute Resolution
- Tuesday, Nov. 12, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. – Success Stories: Why Some Contractors Succeed and Others Fail
The Gulfport workshop series is being sponsored by MDA, Roy Anderson Contractors, The Surety and Fidelity Association of America and the South Mississippi Contract Procurement Center.
Seating is limited, so interested parties are encouraged to register early. To register, visit www.mscpc.com, and select “Events Calendar” and then “September 10, 2013.” For more information about the MCDP or to register, please contact Latonia Shirley with MDA’s Minority and Small Business Development Division at 601.359.6678 or firstname.lastname@example.org.