MCDP Starts March 7 in Picayune
Picayune, Miss. (February 27, 2013) – The Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) will launch its Model Contractor Development Program (MCDP) workshop series on Thursday, March 7, 2013, from 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. in Picayune, Miss.
The nine weekly workshops, designed to teach small contractors and businesses practices that will improve their company’s operations and increase their bonding capacity, will be held each Thursday through May 2 at the Crosby Memorial Library, located at 900 Goodyear Blvd., or at the Picayune Carver Culture Museum, located at 1308 South Haugh Ave. at the Old Mississippi Mall. The location for each workshop is specified in the schedule below.
The MCDP workshop series is offered free of charge and is open to all small contractors and businesses, but participants must enroll or already be enrolled in the Mississippi Contractor Procurement Network system (www.mscpc.com) in order to attend. Additionally, each company’s representative must agree to attend seven of the nine sessions to successfully complete the course.
“The MCDP workshop series is a beneficial tool available to teach Mississippi contractors business practices that will help them succeed in today’s economy,” said Bob Covington, MDA Minority and Small Business Development Division director. “By participating in the program, contractors and small business owners position themselves to better take advantage of contracting opportunities available to them, in turn helping their businesses achieve long-term success.”
Beginning with the March 7 kick-off, the program schedule follows:
- Thursday, March 7, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Crosby Memorial Library – Kickoff/Orientation
- Thursday, March 14, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Crosby Memorial Library – Business Planning and Management for Construction
- Thursday, March 21, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Crosby Memorial Library – Banking and Financing for Contractors
- Thursday, March 28, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Crosby Memorial Library – Bonding and Insurance for New and Emerging Contractors
- Thursday, April 4, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Crosby Memorial Library – Construction Accounting and Financial Management
- Thursday, April 11, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Crosby Memorial Library – Marketing, Estimating and Bidding
- Thursday, April 18, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Picayune Carver Culture Museum – Project Management and Field Operations
- Thursday, April 25, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Picayune Carver Culture Museum – Claims and Dispute Resolution
- Thursday, May 2, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. – Picayune Carver Culture Museum – Success Stories: Why Some Contractors Succeed and Others Fail
The Picayune workshop series is being sponsored by MDA, The Surety and Fidelity Association of America, the South Mississippi Contract Procurement Center (SMCPC), Magnolia Business Alliance, Moore Chiropractic Clinic, Guy Enterprises and the Picayune Minority Business Group.
Seating is limited, so interested parties are encouraged to register early. To register, visit www.mscpc.com, and select “Events Calendar” and then “March 7, 2013.” For more information about the MCDP or to register by phone, please contact Latonia Shirley with MDA’s Minority and Small Business Development Division at 601.359.6678, Marcia McDowell with SMCPC at 228.396.1288 or Dr. Debbie Moore at 601.749.4939.